Friday, March 14, 2014

Melanie Manchot

Came across this series by Melanie Manchot of her mother. I thought the on of her and her mother was interesting. This work also ties with th vanitas theme.
In the book she states that,
'By looking at my mothers ageing body, I am also looking at my self, my own corporeality as well as my future. Ageing obviously affects us all but wokig with my mother, her body and very specific poces of ageing becomes a more personal invstegation including such notions as lineage, gntis, nd hereditiy.'

Look At You Loving Me, 2000, Unique Silver Gelatin Prints onto Canvas

From the web-site: One of Manchot’s earliest series of work, ‘Look at you loving me’ consists of large and small scale photographic works printed onto canvases using a photographic light sensitive emulsion. The surface of the printed canvas is then worked into with a variety of drawing materials such as chalk and charcoal. Both formally and conceptually, these works reference painterly media while firmly being rooted within the language of photography. Working with her mother over a period of four years, around 40 different unique works came into existence, charting both a very particular body, its expressions and gestures, and a relationship – that between mother and daughter, between model and photographer. Over those years, forms of participation and collaboration were initiated and explored to find methodologies that speak about portraiture as a project of relations.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment