Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Sea Memory


 A sea memory, I am quite sure
That it's a memory of the sea.
Not a cloud in the sky, a sharp edged horizon,
Waves surging in endlessly from beyond.
When I saw that vista, it was as if something in my infant
Consciousness awakened from a long dream.
I looked around at my hands and feet.
And then I seemed to be looking down on myself from above.
As if I were there merged into the seascape.
Hiroshi Sugimoto, 'Noh Such thing as Time.' 2002



An unusual beach find of what I believe is a scapular, a religious object Catholics wear as protection and to remind them to pray. It's a sad little object in its own way. Maybe it fell out of a sailors pocket, or someone tossed it out to sea having no more need or belief in it. Even though water got inside the laminated pocket it is perfectly intact. I am not particularly religious but I like to see this find as a good omen although I started to get a bit freaked out when I found this shell with the cross on it that afternoon. It was hard to miss it… 






“Omens were all very well, but sometimes it would help if people just wrote things down.” 

― Terry Pratchett, I Shall Wear Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment