This recipe is delicious! But make sure you add the mustard and lemon, it is essential! I don't care if you don't like mustard, personally I cant stand it, put without it this recipe just wont cut it!
There is a bit of work in this one, and I usually make it over two days. Basically cooking the vegetables and the sauce and then making the actual pie the next day. This one was made in a day as it was Sunday!
This recipe serves two hungry or four not so hungry people. I would recommend adding an extra carrot and a leek and doubling the sauce.
What you will need;
250g (9oz) puff pastry
(you can make your own, if you are brave, but I would by the ready made stuff, Jus-Roll is really good!)
2-3 small carrots
250ml (9fl oz) chicken stock
20g (3/4 oz) butter
20g (3/4 oz) flour
leaves from 2 sprigs tarragon
(I have yet to use tarragon, as I cant get a hold of it, and It hasn't started to grow in the garden yet)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
A good squeeze of lemon
250g (9oz) cooked chicken, cut into chunks
1 small egg lightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F/ gas mark 6
For the Filling:
1. Cut the carrots into chunks on the diagonal.
Remove the coarser leaves from the leeks and trim off the base and the dark green bit at the top, Cut into rings about 2cm thick Wash thoroughly in running water and drain.
2. Put both vegetables in a saucepan and add the stock.
I used a bit more flour than recommended. If you have made white sauce before than you will have more of an idea its all down to instinct. Don't let it burn but cook its enough that its stuck together and golden.
6. Stir around over a medium heat then take off the heat and start to stir in the milk mixture, adding a little at a time and stirring constantly to create a smooth sauce.
2. Cut out the shape of you lit, make sure its larger than your dish. You can always trim it down.
3. Roll out thin strips of pastry and attach them to the lip of the dish by brushing water on the back of them.
6. Bake in the oven at 200c/400f/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes until piping hot, puffed up and golden. Serve immediately! Really good with sweet chili sauce. But then everything tastes great with sweet chili!
|The finished product! Yum!!!|