Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ceramic Update

So I am very behind on my blog, and that is not from lack of anything to put up! I have just been a bit allergic as I fell way behind.
I had to recast my mould for my ceramic cones, which I think has worked out for the best. The base is slightly bigger and they are more pointed.
For the new cone we had to make a basic mould of plaster, which was then carved down as close to the original cone shape as possible. We then made another plaster mould using the plaster cone to create the cast of the cone. I needed the negative shape of the cone to pour my slip cast to make a hollow ceramic cone. It is a lot easier than it sounds...
Here are some photos of the process helped by some lovely and patient ceramic tutors and technicians!

Getting ready to mix and pour the first plaster mould.

The first mould which the new cone would be made from. The old cone is sitting beside it.
The old cone was made from a paper cone.

The carving process

The new cone

 Greasing up the new cone with soap so the plaster mould wont stick

Pouring the new mould

The cone one the left is removed leaving our final mould on the right.

Pouring the first cast.
We do this by using slip, which is poured into the cast, left for a small amount of time, then poured out again and left to dry.
I have made ten altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment