Friday, April 13, 2018

Cosmic Eggs (for lack of a better title)


 Two new sculptures made simply from eggs laid by my own ducks and polymer clay faces and a bit of gold leaf to represent that something sacred. Which came first the woman or the egg? These are not political pieces, I'm sure they could be as that was the question that came to mind after I made them. A lot has been going on in Ireland at the moment, artists have been busy trying to pull ireland out of the dark ages, fighting to give women a choice over their own bodies and to repeal the eight amendment. I don't do political art, its just not my bag, to angry, and there is enough of that anyway.
But it is a good question, who comes first?
On another thought eggs are pretty amazing, I have a large flock of hens at hand, have hatched my own chicks and  regulary partake in the eating of eggs. I don't have a rooster, they are not fertile, there is no life there. But on occasion I do have a fertile egg, and it is an amazing thing to observe. This small delicate vessel growing a little life outside of the mother, everything it needs packed into a small shell of calcium, grown for 21 days. A little circle of life in one form.
  There is so much mysticism around eggs from all across the globe, it is even believed that the earth itself was cracked from an egg, 'The Cosmic Egg.' The egg appears in many works of art including my own. It is a fascinating form, an amazing creation of evolution.
Enough rambling! I hope to make more of these with any extra eggs I may have. They are filled with ash to add weight and balance to them. I hope the one with gold leaf will have a chemical reaction to the glue used where the gold will turn green. This has happened before but only time will tell.
It is a fiddle process making the hole, only done on fresh eggs and not older brittle eggs, careful surgical precision when cutting and filing down the hole without cracking the whole shell.

'Untitled,' mixed-media, (duck egg, gold leaf and polymer clay)



'Untitled,' Mixed-media (Duck egg, polymer clay)













No comments:

Post a Comment