Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sewn

"Divine Nature gave the fields, human art built the cities."
-Marcus Terentius Varro, De Re Rustica

The images below are from previous pieces that I did earlier in the year. The only difference with these is that they have been 'drawn with thread.' I should have a lot more of them, but alas I ran out of time. I wanted to make a picture book out of them. I'm disappointed in myself only because this project isn't finished and I hate not completing things, Maybe after assessments I'll have another go at it.Still, presented on their on they work out well.

"This City now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air."
-William Wordsworth

Sewn Hare

Close-up of Hare's head. She has a button for an eye.

"In the country the darkness of night is friendly and familiar, but in a city, with its blaze of lights, it is unnatural, hostile and menacing.  It is like a monstrous vulture that hovers, biding its time."
-Somerset Maugham

Sewn Rook

Close-up of Rook's head, with a button for an eye.

"Cities are the abyss of the human species."
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Émile


No comments:

Post a Comment