Sunday, January 9, 2011

Wired Hare


"All cities are mad:  but the madness is gallant.  All cities are beautiful:  but the beauty is grim."
-Christopher Morley, Where the Blue Begins

Sorry about the poor picture quality. Hopefully you can see what its about.

The original sketch is below. Its of a hare leaping over the city buildings.
For the final piece I drew out the image on a piece of cardboard, which is about the size of an A2 sheet of paper. For the city I used oil pastels and acrylics, also a bit of white spirits. I've never used that combination of mediums before, so I wasn't sure if it would give me the desired effect. I think it worked well in the end, it may be a little flat though, as long as it doesn't take away from the hare itself, then that's all that matters.
The hare is made out of fine jewelery wire, sewn through the cardboard with a needle to create a ghostly image of the hare.. Unfortunately the cardboard is slightly bent, you can see the crease in the photo. It annoys the heck out of me!
All in all I think the image is successful, only because it is something different.


"Clearly, then, the city is not a concrete jungle, it is a human zoo."
-Desmond Morris, The Human Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment