Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Printing!




Final Print of heron
I did my first wood block prints yesterday! That was pretty cool. My prints came out a lot better than I thought. The images below were based on a heron that I see all the time in the river on the way to ccs. I love seeing him there. Again the idea came from the Native American story about the turtle carrying the world on its back. The heron is carrying us on its back. Like all wild life they get the blunt end of the stick, what ever we do they get effected. They carry our problems. Cheesy I know but its true, if you think about it. When I see that heron in the river, he is surrounded by brown mucky water, which is full of plastic and empty bottles.



The other image was me trying to make it a bit more surreal. It didn't come out very well. I only did it for shits and giggles really.


When despair for the world grows in me, and I wake in the night at the least sound in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be -- I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought or grief. I come into the presence of still water. And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free" - Wendell Berry
Inked up wood block
Sketch from sketchbook
Print of surreal version of heron
Inked up wood block

Sketch from sketchbook

Another similar sketch



No comments:

Post a Comment