Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A Bit of Wearable Art


I had this beautiful piece of wood that just wasn't suitable for sculpting and was just to nice to cast aside, so I let it sit awhile on my desk, admiring it's knots and curves until I figured out what to do.
I turned it into a necklace, a wearable sculpture so to speak. 
I polished the branch with bees wax, attaching one of my little faces made from polymer clay with wire. The feathers are from my vast collection I  have been given over the years, the chain is recycled, attached with wire wrapped around the branch. 
All very simply done, no bells or whistles, a lovely balance between materials. Maybe I will wear it to my next exhibition! I tried to take a selfie of myself wearing it, but it is terrible, at least you can see wear it sits on the body.
I do not think I will go down the jewellery route, just something to play with, have also been working on a broach I need to finish. Nice to do something different.
*A note: The seed for this piece was planted from a necklace that my Step-mother gave me that belonged to her Father. I adore it and is one of my favourite pieces of jewellery. Its made up of chunky clay beads strung on leather, the centre piece is a face with another face morphing into the bottom of it. Very Surreal, very beautiful, and very comfortable.





No comments:

Post a Comment