Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Izziyana Suhaimi

As you can see I am back looking at embroidery again. I manged to come across this artist who uses embroidery over her pencil drawings. I can see she uses watercolour paper, but from doing this myself, I still cant tell how she prevents the paper from tearing or holes from the needle appearing.
I will have to experiment. I need to get some small needles as mine have snapped!
 
Artists Statment:
 
Endlessly curious. My work primarily involves the use of embroidery. I am interested in collapsing the boundaries between traditional and popular cultures and exploring the links that exist between these two. My work examines how this particular mishmash manifests itself in modern times, especially concerning modern youths. Preferring to work with craft-based techniques, I am attracted to the evidence of the hand and its time-consuming aspect, which runs counter to the instant gratification and mass-production centred age of today. My works have been exhibited in Singapore, the Philippines, Taiwan and Japan.
http://my-bones.tumblr.com/
 
 




 
........
 
“Let’s talk about everything” (below images) is a collection of memories carefully collected from four individuals, springing from four different phrases that hold strong emotional connections to these individuals. These phrases were taken from songs, quotes, poetry, etc. Each memory is explored, studied, laboured over and embroidered on found materials.
Gold thread was used in varying degrees on each piece to recreate gold dust. The preciousness and value of gold reflect a similar preciousness and value attached to individual memories. However, memories extremely treasured by one, may be meaningless to another. In a similar manner, gold dust, though still having value, is useless until it is turned into something useful such as a bar or a button.


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment