I found this piece of wood a few weeks ago on the beach. I thought it was beautiful and really interesting, and new instantly what I wanted to do with it.
It took a bit of searching but I found a silicone mold of a woman's face online, When it arrived I found it a lot smaller than I anticipated as I wanted it for another piece of wood I have, luckily it is the perfect match for this piece.
I took part in a porcelain master class with Ursula Burke a couple of weeks ago in hopes to use the mold for the slip casting process, of course I discovered you cant use silicon molds for slip casting, but I kept going and stuck with it. I used polymer clay and also regular clay to make press molds of the face. I have yet to fire the clay molds but as you can see in this new sculpture the polymer clay has worked quit well.
For this sculpture I used simple tools, my pen knife (in bad need of a sharpen), sand paper, and a lino cutter. I gouged out the space for the face, making the hole bigger so it rests nicely in the wood cavity. The bottom half of the figure has had little done to it. a bit of a clean up, removing shells and cleaning up the folds in the wood, I then painted it gold.
The whole piece has been sanded and waxed with bee wax.
This is a continuation of the project, Sacred Feminine