Sunday, February 19, 2023

Wood Witch, Cone Sculpture

'Wood Witch,' mixed- media 2023

 This piece has taken some making. It has already been made twice, each time the original body design (pictured below) blew up in the pit firing process. I blame the clay I was using, but I also saw it as a sign that this idea was not meant to be. So I decided to use the cone shape instead which I feel has worked out much better. This little bit of wood, worn smooth over time has been knocking about my studio for the longest time. I think I found it on the beach, but I have had it so long now I really couldn't tell you; just biding its time waiting to be used, constantly being picked up, fiddled with, looked at and put away again. The beads around the figures neck were found in a tiny tin in my grandmothers jewellery box, the tin was wrapped in wax paper. I dont know what they originally belonged to but felt the must have held some value to be kept the way they were. They are so minuet that I had to use a pair of tweezers and magnifying glasses to painstakingly thread them. The wood delicately stands freely in the ceramic cone.    


 
Bead detail



Head detail



original failed design

No comments:

Post a Comment