Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Aganetha Dyck

Collaborative work between artists and bees is a trend that is becoming a lot more common these days. Artists are really starting to take advantage of the humble bees natural creative instinct. And I have to say I have yet to see works created by this creative partnership falter. The work is really something special and unique, no piece is alike and can ever be reproduced the same way. Its all down to chance and the artists ability to completely loose control of his or her work, allowing the bees to take over and do what they do best.
 I recently came across Aganetha Dyke, a Canadian artist who is interested in environmental issues, specifically "the power of the small," and is interested in inter species communication. Her research asks questions about the ramifications all living beings would experience should honeybees disappear from earth. 

Below Dyke describes her work, which only she can do best!...


"First, a clarification; I am not a beekeeper. I rent the colonies of honeybees, bee hives, and apiary space from a qualified beekeeper. All my work with honeybees is overseen by a scientist and is always completed under the direction of a beekeeper. The beekeeper takes care of the bees. I am an artist interested in environmental issues and in inter-species communication, specifically interested in the power of the small. My ongoing research asks questions regarding the ramifications all living beings would experience should honey bees disappear from earth.
….
To begin a collaborative project with the honeybees, I choose a slightly broken object or damaged material from a second hand market place. I choose damaged objects because honeybees are meticulous beings, they continuously mend anything around them and they do pay attention to detail. To encourage the honeybees to communicate, I strategically add wax or honey, propolis or hand-made honeycomb patterns to the objects prior to placing them into their hives. At least I like to think my methods are strategic. The honeybees often think otherwise and respond to what is placed within their hive in ways that make my mind reel.
At times, the honeybees encourage me to add or delete honeycomb after they have worked on an object. As an example, by overextending their honeycomb, the honeybees encourage me to sculpt into this mass of waxed cell"


The Large Cupboard, (canned buttons), 1984

Feeder Boards
Dyck is using apiary feeder boards and hive blankets to develop her new body of work.
After Dr. E. Assumus

The MMasked Ball, 2008

The MMasked Ball



No comments:

Post a Comment