Thursday, January 26, 2023

All Dogs go to Heaven

All Dogs go to Heaven, installation ceramic sculpture.

I'm to nauseous and tired to do anything in the studio thanks to chemo, even typing this is a hardship, so I have been contemplating this piece I made a few years ago. Sadly packed away, awaiting its time to be exhibited.
Above is a digital mock up of the piece installed, (not to scale).
One of the sadest things I heard while going to Catholic school was that our dogs don't go to heaven. They don't go anywhere, they just die.
What a devastating statement to hear and being told that a perfect heaven doesn't include the animals we held so close and dear during our lifetime.
It didn't seem much like heaven to me.
To me Heaven is seeing all ones beloved pets again in the after life.
All Dogs go to Heaven is my homage to all those dogs who were told they weren't going to heaven. 
Each dog is hand made and fired in my pit. Some are broken but that's OK, no pup is perfect. Ideally they would be hung on a wall galloping towards the bisque fired church which is filled with a gold tinged forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment