Sunday, November 21, 2010

Janis Joplin gets it..

"When I'm not there, I'm not here."

"I cant talk about my singing: I'm inside it.
How can you describe something you are inside of?"
- Janis Joplin

I love these two quotes by Janis Joplin. Especially the second one. I can completly relate when I'm trying to explain what my work is about, especially something that isent as obviouse to the viewer. It sounds so good in your head, but it dosent work as well trying to explain it to others. I think alot of artists have this problem, I sometimes wonder when we are looking at old paintings today, and learning about them in art history, are we getting the right message from them, the same one the artist is trying to get across, or do we have it completly back to front?..
When I create a picture I like people to get there own meaning out of it, rather than having to explain it. Alot of my work is very personal anyway so I like to keep that to myself, but then sometimes I dont know whats going on in some of them.
 I think its more fun when the viewer can have a wonder and take away their own story.
At least Janis seems to understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment