Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oh' The Masks We Wear

"Sometimes people carry to such perfection the mask they have assumed that in due course they actually become the person they seem." -William Somerset Maugham

A little while back one of my tutors, after looking at my sketchbook, suggested I make a mask. So I did.
I've never done anything like this before, and it was not easy to start off with.
It turned out better than I thought it would, although there is room for improvement.
I like it because it looks like a 3D line drawing.
I thought about painting so it would seem more fox like but I think it could ruin it.
I would like to try and set up a few photos of someone wearing it in the city. Since the weather is poor it might be a while before that happens, although the miserable weather might work well.

I've posted several photos of the finished piece and the sketch's and steps I made.




Top View



Front View


Front View Close




Left Side View

Right Side View


Side view of original wire frame before I started to build it up with wire

 







Front view of original wire frame
















 

                                                       











"And every occasion when a mask was torn off, an ideal broken, was preceded by this hateful vacancy and stillness, this deathly constriction and loneliness and unrelatedness, this waste and empty hell of lovelenessness and despair, such as I had now thought."-Hermann Hesse

Stacey wearing the original wire mask




My first attempt of making a mask....It did not go well
 


Sketch's for the mask, It did not turn out like the picture...

Original drawings from sketchbook


1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I'm in your blog!

    - I mean, very interesting. Yes. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete