Monday, September 17, 2012

Simplicity

 
The image on the left is only a small part of what I was working on over the weekend. I thought I'd just give a snippet rather than the whole thing. Hopefully I will transfer it onto a plate for an etching. When this is complete then I will show the whole sketch.
I find some artists do that now with instagram on their facebook pages,


it can be incredibly annoying, which is something the artist probably enjoys.
We had a talk today in class were we had to present artists we are interested in, everybody had somebody different.
I was amazed, (and slightly annoyed), at how may people were doing dream or memory.
 These are themes which I work with a lot, whether it is unconsciously or consciously. The majority seemed to be working with images, photos, est. It got me desperately thinking on what I can do to make myself more unique.
So I am thinking about going back to an idea which I have pondered on before.
Simplicity. A simple way of presenting a surreal image or idea. I will use text and only text. Writing a short narrative, whether it is typed or hand written and then eventually, maybe screened.
I am inspired by text, and during my first year print project that's what I worked with, so why not.
Part of me really wants to accompany the text with an image, but I feel this could be to much.
Maybe I can run two or three different projects together, different but similar. My drawings, photography and the text.
I also like the idea of forgetting, the absence of memory, or false memory, when you create a memory after seeing an old photo even though you really don't remember the event, or when you confuse a memory with a dream and the two become entangled.
This should be interesting. It is almost to simple that it could be boring, we shall have to see. I have a tutorial on Thursday, hopefully my tutor wont be to against it.
A lot of artists use text in there work, my favorite of course would be Tracey Emin. Kiki Smith and Louise Bourgeois also use text in a more subtle way.

 May Dodge, my Nan, 1963 -93, - Tracey Emin
Tracey Emin’s family and friends are celebrated in many of her works. They often feature in assemblages that combine objects and ephemera along with handwritten texts. These narratives speak directly about their subjects – her maternal grandmother, her father – and the relics displayed. The earliest of them formed a ‘Wall of Memorabilia’ in her first solo exhibition, My Major Retrospective, in 1993. In 2003, Emin returned to using memorabilia in her art. Her exhibition Menphis featured framed ephemera and text memorialising different moments in her life, from childhood to adulthood.

Mick Found, 1995-2003,
-Tracey Enim
Tracey Emin has said that writing is the backbone of everything she does. ‘I’m not known as a text-based artist, but I should be really,’ she points out. ‘It’s my words that actually make my art quite unique.’ Lettering and handwritten texts take centre stage in her blankets, neons and memorabilia works and act as voice overs in her graphic art, while spoken narratives are a feature of her films and videos. A published author and newspaper columnist, Emin makes direct and powerful statements and observations, tells stories, plays with language, and writes poems and love letters.

'I had a flashback of something that never existed'
-Louise Bourgeois
'Hell and Back'
-Louise Bourgeois
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment