Thursday, October 7, 2010

For Starters

The first thing that came to mind when we started this project was Urban Sprawl. A few ideas popped into my head so i wanted to focus on the phrase for a short time. I thought about hair and how it grows. I liked the idea of how strong yet delicate it is. It can be so easily plucked or cut. It relies on our head to keep it alive. This reminded me of the earth and how easily we can destroy it. How we all rely on it for survival.
I thought about portraying an aging or ill person with long hair that is slowly thinning as it gets longer and longer, and have it star out as hills and trees growing up from the hair and then have it blend into the city. I started to look at drawings from Tim
Burton's book, the Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy. I liked the simpleness of theses drawings and the style. I also researched the symbolism of hair and so forth.

"People are in the dark, they don't know what to do. I had a little lantern, Oh but it got blown out too. I'm reaching out, I hope you are too. I just want to be in the dark with you" - Grey Brown


I wasn't getting the effect i wanted, and was getting rather bored with it, so I drew it up in more my style. Portraying an old woman with long hair, and with light and cane. The old woman represents the earth. (Mother Earth). The hair is the growing City and the dying Earth.
Basically I'm just putting everything that comes to mind down on paper, seeing how far i can take it and move on. I don't want to get stuck on one idea i want to explore everything that is swirling around in my head. So bear with me.
Here are some images from my sketchbook based on this idea....





    "Hey old friend. What do you say old friend?   Make it ok, old Friend, Give an old friendship a break,  Why so grim? Were going on forever.
 You,.....Me,......Him,  To many lives are at stake......."
                                                                -Stephen Sandheim, Old friends



No comments:

Post a Comment